Under Mr. Shaw's determined and capable leadership, the school grew. In 1929, it covered twenty acres, and had five buildings, two cottages, and a small store.
Until 1936, Mary Potter was the only high school for Blacks in Granville County. Mary Potter had its first graduation in May, 1893, and itís last in 1970. Mary Potter ceased to be a private boarding school in the early fifties.
In 1970, Mary Potter became an integrated co-educational school containing grades five through eight. After the construction of West Oxford Elementary School was completed, Mary Potter became a middle school serving students in grades 6 - 8. When Northern Granville Middle School was completed Mary Potter shifted to grades 4 - 6.
A major renovation project started in 2001. The new construction provides a linking corridor between the three existing buildings that were built in 1957, 1962, and 1970. A new media center and administrative area and upgrades to hallways and lighting will upgrade the facility.